May 5, Tallmadge D’Elia was found dead and an autopsy report suggests the explosion of a vape pen for his death.
Termed as “projectile wound of head”- two of the exploded pieces of the vape was transmitted into his head, while he suffered burns of about 80% of his body, as per the report.
Manufactured in Philippines by the Smok-E Mountain, the name of the vape pen, death from an e-cigarette is believed to the every first.
At least 195 incidents of electronic cigarette explosion from 2009 to 2016 have been reported resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe but without any death, according to a report from the US Fire Administration.
Reports state that the vape explosion is followed by loud noise, a flash of light, smoke, flames, and often vigorous ejection of the battery and other parts.
The cause of this explosion is the presence of lithium-ion batteries in the products. “No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” it said.
“It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen. While the failure rate of the lithium-ion batteries is very small, the consequences of a failure, as we have seen, can be severe and life-altering for the consumer.”
As of now, researches on the ingestion of e-cigarette vapour are still being studied by government agencies, the centres for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendations for e-cigarette use include: not carrying loose e-cig batteries in a pocket, not charging with a phone charger; not charging while unattended; and not mixing and matching different brands or old and new batteries.
Source : Scmp
Content : LovePattayaThailand